monterey-park-mass-shooter-hadn’t-been-to-studio-for-5-years;-motive-still-sought,-sheriff-says

Source: OC Register
Monterey Park mass shooter hadn’t been to studio for 5 years; motive still sought, sheriff says Emily Holshouser %%item_date%% %%item_source%%
The man who opened fire in a Monterey Park ballroom on Saturday evening, killing 11 people and wounding nine others celebrating Lunar New Year, had no known recent connection to that ballroom, Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna said Wednesday night, Jan. 25.

Luna also said investigators are still looking for a motive for the massacre. And he revealed Monterey Park police have discovered a motorcycle that the suspect seemed to have stashed near the dance studio as an alternative getaway vehicle.

COMPLETE COVERAGE: Monterey Park Mass Shooting

The shooter, Huu Can Tran, 72, of Hemet, took his own life after a traffic stop in Torrance the morning after the mass shooting.

Luna, during a Wednesday night news conference, said investigators have found no proof that Tran had been to the ballroom in the past five years.

“It doesn’t make sense. It really doesn’t,” Luna said when asked about the motive.

Investigators have said that minutes after the Monterey Park shooting, which left nine people injured, he walked into Lai Lai Ballroom & Studio in nearby Alhambra, where police believe he was going to kill others. But a worker there, Brandon Tsay, whose family operates the studio, disarmed Tran and Tran left.

The deadly attack occurred at 10:22 p.m. Saturday at Star Ballroom Dance Studio, in the 100 block of West Garvey Avenue.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.